Photograph by Julia Soler
Don’t say you love me when it’s just a rumour
Don’t say a word if there is any doubt.
Sometimes I think that love is just a tumour;
you’ve got to cut it out.
-Elvis Costello, Lipstick Vogue
I am stuffed up with a cold with Saturday night fast approaching. One of the redeeming things about this is that TV One plays random old Bond movies on Saturday nights. So far, all the ones I’ve seen have featured secret lairs hidden under a lake. Tonight it is From Russia With Love…
My favourite vintage Bond is A View to a Kill. Highlights:
- Roger Moore as the world’s craggiest Bond
- A sweet as pie classic blonde American girl who needs rescuing
- Christopher Walken as the slimy British Bad Guy, complete with a booby-trapped steeplechase track.
- Grace Jones (!!!!) as May Day, in inexplicable avant-garde hooded garments.
- A blimp!
- Lots and lots of dubious puns
- Bond and May Day getting it on, both pretending that it advances their respective good/evil missions. There is no real motive.
- Bond getting busted macking on blonde girl in the shower by a robot camera dog from HQ
- Bond offering to make blonde girl “an omelette” and then pulling a full-fledged quiche from the oven.
Seriously, how badass & futuristic is this outfit?
Just another day at the races: